Virginia Haiti Collaborative
The Virginia Haiti Collaborative is a group of churches, schools, and individuals partnering with St. Marc's Primary School in Cerca-La-Source to improve education in Haiti. Since June 2009, the collaborative has:
- Funded construction of 6-room school building, school supplies, school uniforms, teachers' salaries, teacher training, lunch program, provided laptops and supplies for adult education, a generator, and land for expansion.
- Sent 10 different groups of Americans to Haiti to visit St. Marc's School and the Cerca-la-Source community
Outcomes of the Partnership
- Education and food for children, consistently paid staff, education for adults
- Strong ties between the collaborative and the St. Marc's community created through many visits
- Raising funds for the next phase -- Adding a small business (a Bakery) to help the school become self-supporting and expanding the school to add 6 new classrooms
- Create a self-sustaining community for education, food, and self-improvement as well as continue to develop relationships between the Collaborative members and the Cerca-la-Source community
The Collaborative usually has monthly meetings on the third Tuesday, 5:30 pm at Trinity Church, Staunton, Virginia in the Foster Room. For more information on the Collaborative, please contact Meneta Deaton at email@example.com, or visit the website.